Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (Intel boards)

ASRock (Intel boards) This is a brand new ASRock channel for discussion for Intel boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Does Asrock H81M-HDS motherboard support booting from 3TB HDD?

ASRock (Intel boards)

Old 14-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
Mindex is on a distinguished road
Default Does Asrock H81M-HDS motherboard support booting from 3TB HDD?

I just recently bought an Asrock H81M-HDS and a 3TB Hard disk. I want to know if this Asrock Mobo supports booting Windows 8.1 from 3TB Hard disk.

I'm aware of the need to mark the disk's partition table as GUID.

What are the settings that I need to configure in the motherboard's Bios for detecting the 3TB disk properly (in terms of disk size) and for booting from it?

I googled around for this but any information/support regarding this motherboard seems difficult to come by.
Old 14-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 20
Tweakurr is on a distinguished road

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/

Everything you are looking for is available at Asrock's site. It lists the board as 8.1 ready, so I don't think you are going to run into any problems. Have you tried to set it up?

Unless things have changed, you cannot boot off your HD in GUID mode. A large drive like that is normally reserved for extended storage and not a boot drive. If you leave it Fat32 you will loose the extra 1 gig. Best to have a different boot drive like an SSD, and set the 3TB up as a GUID in windows by deleting the partition, and converting to GUID.

Keep Tweaking!

Last edited by Tweakurr : 15-04-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Old 15-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Rookie

I had looked at the Asrock website, but the information provided is at best minimal. They only seem to talk about a 3TB+ utility, which helps to detect the correct size of the drives within Windows.

I have come across multiple guides on booting from 3TB+ disks - whats is needed is for the Bios (or rather UEFI) to support it. Infact the marketing spiel on H61M-DGS (available at http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-DGS/) mentions the following

"Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a revolutionary BIOS utility which offers ......
3. Supports 3TB bootable HDD - UEFI breaks the limitations of 2TB bootable HDD on traditional BIOS. With UEFI, you can enjoy 3TB bootable HDD size"

H81M-HDS supports UEFI, so I want to know if it can also boot 3TB - the specs page for this Mobo is silent on this.

I have tried attaching a 3 TB disk to a setup with H81-HDS, but it didn't detect the correct size of the disk. Hence, I want to know if this is supported and what are the appropriate settings that I need to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakurr View Post
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/

Everything you are looking for is available at Asrock's site. It lists the board as 8.1 ready, so I don't think you are going to run into any problems. Have you tried to set it up?

Unless things have changed, you cannot boot off your HD in GUID mode. A large drive like that is normally reserved for extended storage and not a boot drive. If you leave it Fat32 you will loose the extra 1 gig. Best to have a different boot drive like an SSD, and set the 3TB up as a GUID in windows by deleting the partition, and converting to GUID.

Last edited by Mindex : 15-04-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 26-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Rookie

Any suggestions???