Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (Intel boards)

ASRock (Intel boards) This is a brand new ASRock channel for discussion for Intel boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Which asrock board are you using right now.

ASRock (Intel boards)

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
LH2312x is on a distinguished road

Asrocks strength in my opinion was always two-fold. For one they engineered (and build) very versatile boards which helped in migrating from one technical step to the next, albeit giving the user a chance to keep parts of the existing technology (DDR vs DDR2, APG vs PCI-E, Socket 939 vs Socket AM2 and so on).
This is a real niche market, but obviously a profitable one!

The second strength was their ability to build and sell mainboads for (very often) half of the price of the premium brands - but 90-95% of their quality!
This, together with the first point, made them looking extremely interesing for all "cost conscience" users....

If they *really* move into the high/mid-end market they will compete with Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI. Sorry folks, no way. If I'm willing to spend over a 100 or 150 euros for a mainboards I would hesitate to recommend Asrock. I think an the long run they cannot compete with the "big guys" in the market...

And in the meantime teh market where they originated and had their greatest success will be occupied by Jetway and other low cost vendors....

I'm glad I haven't to decide about Asrock's business development :-)
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
The one

Potenza rep: 10
bluetooth has disabled reputation

I think you are right in a way. When they first jumped over to the mid range market, I was taken by surprise too. When they have a X58, i was bewildered. Why did they do that?

With the economic down turn, I think they should relook at their strategy. Most of them time, cheaper boards gets more buying support than expensive ones.
and Join our Facebook Fan page at
http://www.facebook.com/ocworkbenchconnect

Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 AM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH2312x View Post
Using two boards:

1. A780FullDisplayPort
2. P43R1600Twins-110dB

I guess these will be the last two Asrock boards I own after a long long row starting with a 939Dual, since they silently introduced a policy (obviously) not to support boards older than 6 months with new BIOS versions anymore... What a shame!

It was to my dismay that I read this above quote and it's something that I feel has at least a lot of truth in it facts.
I too bought the P43R1600Twin board, only to find that within a month of using it out comes the new boards with "instant boot" feature.
Felling my board was fairly upto date and expecting a new BIOS to implement it, alas nothing since 1.50.
I should've realised this when I had the 4CD Vsta board and that to lacked support after the initial few months.
Should this "silently", or otherwise be ASrocks policy, I can't see them breaking into the mainstream as buying a top notch board with extended support will far outweigh the versatility of any new spangled feature they may include at reduced cost.
I'm now wishing I bought from Gigabyte, at least they seem to know most of their customers are in for a long run, not just for a few gimmicks!

Last edited by greycounciller : 10-02-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 13-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Potenza rep: 19
Mau1wurf1977 is on a distinguished road

I am currently using the P45TurboTwins (one of the first P45 boards to come to australia), but I am now switching to the P45PE board (better board layout, i dont need crossfire, better bios that allows FSB strap to set without jumpers).

I ordered it for only A$122. Very good price for what you get.
Old 15-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Rookie

awdrifter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
They are two seperate companies. If not ASR wouldn't have a x58 board.
I thought Asrock is a wholely owned subsidary of Asus (Kinda like Toyota owns Lexus).
Old 15-02-2009, 08:48 AM
The one

Potenza rep: 10
bluetooth has disabled reputation

Not entirely. They have different offices too.
and Join our Facebook Fan page at
http://www.facebook.com/ocworkbenchconnect
Old 19-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Further to our discussion from above relating to vanishing support from Asrock for older(?) mainboards I just send an email to Asrock support. I plan to buy a new Phenom II 810 asap, but was wondering why they didn't update the CPU support list with this CPU (but they did it immediately for the A780FullHD?).
This lack of support also applies to Socket775 boards like the P43R1600 series - still no InstantBoot BIOS!.
This is what I sent:
=======
Dear support,
I plan to buy a new Phenom II X4 810 CPU within the next couple of weeks and was wondering if this CPU is supported by my A780FullDisplayPort? I noticed you updated the CPU support list for the (almost identical) A780FullHD with this CPU type and other Phenom II versions, but not the CPU list for the A780FUllDIsplayPort.
Would I need a new BIOS version (I'm running version 1.6 right now) ?
Thanks for any help!
Best Regards, Lothar

PS To be honest, I'm a bit diasppointed about the lack of new BIOS versions for my boards. I own also another P43R1600Twins-110dB besides my A780FullDisplayPort but I guess in future I will hesitate to buy mainboards with a life span of (obviously) only 6 months for support.... Just to let you know what other users also think.
==========
I'm looking forward to their reply and will of course keep you informed.
Am I really the only one around here feeling ripped off by buying mainboards which are obsoleted almost immediately?
Old 19-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Further to our discussion from above relating to vanishing support from Asrock for older(?) mainboards I just send an email to Asrock support. I plan to buy a new Phenom II 810 asap, but was wondering why they didn't update the CPU support list with this CPU (but they did it immediately for the A780FullHD?).
This lack of support also applies to Socket775 boards like the P43R1600 series - still no InstantBoot BIOS!.
This is what I sent:
=======
Dear support,
I plan to buy a new Phenom II X4 810 CPU within the next couple of weeks and was wondering if this CPU is supported by my A780FullDisplayPort? I noticed you updated the CPU support list for the (almost identical) A780FullHD with this CPU type and other Phenom II versions, but not the CPU list for the A780FUllDIsplayPort.
Would I need a new BIOS version (I'm running version 1.6 right now) ?
Thanks for any help!
Best Regards, Lothar

PS To be honest, I'm a bit diasppointed about the lack of new BIOS versions for my boards. I own also another P43R1600Twins-110dB besides my A780FullDisplayPort but I guess in future I will hesitate to buy mainboards with a life span of (obviously) only 6 months for support.... Just to let you know what other users also think.
==========
I'm looking forward to their reply and will of course keep you informed.
Am I really the only one around here feeling ripped off by buying mainboards which are obsoleted almost immediately?

Like you LH2312x, I too sent them an email this morning about exactly the same point for P43R1600Twins boards and this was the unexpected reply I got within a very short space of time, which was very good on their part........

"Hello,

of course we give supports for our products. Even they are 6 years old – like our first mainboard.
If you talking about BIOS updates?
we update BIOS if it is necessary, and not release a BIOS – without changes except the version number– every month, just to show users we are updating… hope you understand what I mean ;-)

For example. If mainboard X can handle new CPU than, after a testing phase and the CPU is available on the market we release the BIOS with updated CPU code.

Driver updates same like BIOS. If necessary. Because we deliver to system integrators, too we have to provide WHQL drivers. Some chipset manufactures update their drivers, but they are not WHQL. They are working mostly fine, but we cannot add them in our download area.

If there is a question about our product we will help of course.
And if there is a problem that can reproduce in our test-lab, than the chance of a fix (driver or BIOS update) is very high.

Regarding Instant boot. The actual boards are designed and test already for it. Our previous boards are tested step by step, and if possible a bios release follow soon. You have to understand that this test cannot made be within a minute. Every mainboard has to follow a test-routine and this takes time, and many, many other boards are still in the waiting-list........

I am sure if you search internet for same thing but add an other manufacture you will find similar forum or users saying same… ;-)

Best regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.
Bijsterhuizen 31-51
6604 LV Wijchen
The Netherlands"

Can't say fairer than that I guess

Last edited by greycounciller : 19-02-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 20-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Rookie

I was also very surprised to receive an email in reply to my complaint already this morning. Asrock Holland sent me a new BIOS version (v1.63) for my A780FullDisplayPort, which adds InstantBoot support and also supports Phenom II CPU's. Very nice and prompt answer!

Despite that it leaves the open question, why Asrock only delivers this functionalty on request? The BIOS 1.63 doesn't look like being a beta version...
Anyway, I'm glad about this, since it keeps my mainboard up to date.
Old 20-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I was also very surprised to receive an email in reply to my complaint already this morning. Asrock Holland sent me a new BIOS version (v1.63) for my A780FullDisplayPort, which adds InstantBoot support and also supports Phenom II CPU's. Very nice and prompt answer!

Despite that it leaves the open question, why Asrock only delivers this functionalty on request? The BIOS 1.63 doesn't look like being a beta version...
Anyway, I'm glad about this, since it keeps my mainboard up to date.

They also sent me a new BIOS too (1.56) which I suppose should give Instant Boot which was what my main query was about as it's made for the wi-fi version of my board.
Only problem is I usually use the WinXP updates as I don't have a FDD anymore so I'll have to dig one out to do it.
Let's hope 'customer' power can sway them to be a bit attentive to the 'user' power base they have.

Last edited by greycounciller : 20-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.