Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench | AMD ThreadRipper Review | Tech Investments forum > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > Extreme Overclocking, D2OL, SuperPi, 3Dmark Challenge

Extreme Overclocking, D2OL, SuperPi, 3Dmark Challenge In this sector, you can discuss abt softwares (no hacks/pirated stuff), benchmarking tools, latest softwares, Distributed Folding apps etc.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Future MRT MAP has MOVED here. Click here.

Knoppix Experiences and Information

Extreme Overclocking, D2OL, SuperPi, 3Dmark Challenge

Old 01-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Potenza rep: 28
Tim B is on a distinguished road
Cool

As I've been experimenting with Knoppix over the last couple of days, I thought I'd start a thread for tips/tweaks or just general help as I know a couple of guys are also trying it out and others may do too [img]smile.gif[/img]

After downloading <a href=http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>Knoppix</a> (1 ISO=700MB) and burning using your favourite CD software you are set to go

After setting your computer to boot from the cdrom drive (check you motherboards manual and bios settings) boot with the cd in the drive, apon load - it will pause with a boot: command line prompt, from here you can simply run Knoppix with the defaults (by pressing enter) and hope it detects all your hardware ok or type 'expert' and follow the interative boot. (Pressing F2 give you extra options which will become useful once you have your own settings saved)

On my first boot - my monitor is plug and play and as I seen before in Windows allows frequencies too high for its max resolution to be set and hence switches to standby mode, I thereforew had to start using 'knoppix xvrefresh=60' which sets the maximum refresh to 60hz, you can also use the expert tag and configure your display manually if you wish

On boot a nice and fairly intuitive GUI pops up, for those that like the way windows works you can run the Desktop Settings Wizard (Start Apps>Settings) to change it to the usual double click scenario

My onboard LAN was detected but was not setup and I had problems getting DHCP to work so to setup your connection I needed to manually specify my network settings, (Start Apps > Knoppix > Network > Network Card Config) Here specify your local IP (192.168.0.x), the broadcast address (255.255.255.0), the default gateway (192.168.0.x will be a different IP if not directly connected - i.e your router/ICS machine), the default name/dns server (usually the same as your gateway IP)

Anyhow after all that was setup - the built in Internet Browsers (Mozilla) worked fine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Its also important to save your config if you wish to keep the changes for next time, (Start Apps > Settings? > Save Knoppix Config) this will allow you to save everything including the hardware setup to a HD or removable flash media, to then use your saved config as it will kindly tell you - start the next boot with 'myconfig=scan' or 'myconfig=/mnt/hda1/' in the command line - the first option is probably the best if you only have one and dont know the path

I then moved on to looking into folding using Knoppix, I downloaded the Intel Compiler for Linux2.x or higher, extracted it using the inbuilt archive program on to a HD directory, then open the console using the button at the bottom menubar - commands are as DOS, so type 'cd /mnt/hda1/' or whereever the folding directory is extracted, then 'cd distribfold', then type './foldit' the client will launch asking you for the handle and config details - make sure you tick yes for ExtraRam [img]smile.gif[/img] Once setup it will ask you to start the client again and off you go! Progress can be monitored through Progress.txt in the client directory

I also tried the GCC compiler (<a href=http://www.distributedfolding.com>www.distributedfolding.com</a>) but that refused to work, as also did the ./foldtrajlite -bench, but I'm looking into that one so I can compare with my XP Pro setup - updates will follow!

Hope that all makes sense, post anymore tips/thoughts/questions here! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

As an after thought - its amazing how much they have managed to fit on to the cd - all your multimedia needs are catered for - mp3 player, tv card tuner (which worked fine with my Hauppauge WinTV Go no problems) Office packages which are compatable with Excel, Word etc.. and even if you use MSN alot like me - then you can use Gaim (Start Apps > Internet > Gaim) which is an all in one messenger for MSN, Yahoo, ICQ etc much like Trillian for Windows.

Up to 2GB in data If I remember correctly, and it all unpacks on the fly [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Ok to add, all the command line options at the beginning of the boot are known as 'cheat codes' and allow you to specify other parameters to help get your hardware working,

You can find all the options here:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes
Old 02-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 10
gripen is on a distinguished road
Is this a review? :D
Anyway the KDE in this knoppix version is known as an unstable release(I have personally experienced 1 or 2 crashes while doing normal tasks like playing mp3s, working in OpenOffice, & browsing around drives).

And I still dunnoe how to setup my ADSL connection(probably the modem got no linux drivers also). :(
Old 02-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

Hehe sorry not really a review - just some pointers I discovered on the way lol - I'm a noob at Linux so its all new to me! :D
Old 02-08-2003, 12:30 AM

Potenza rep: 23
[veix] is on a distinguished road
gripen, What release do you consider current ?
I have no problems with 2003-07-25 release. Obtained from knoppix.net mirrors.

Tim B, can you tell me why knoppix doesnt work with very common nics. Like 3com 905, smc1211 and rtl8139d. It does detect them as eth0 on boot, but netcard config gives me error :(
Do i really have to use expert? :D
Old 02-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

likewise i'm using the 2003-07-25 or is it 26? without problems

I'm not sure - my etho0 is detected on boot but I couldn't get DHCP to work at all, so I just went to the Network Config, it asked me whether I wanted to use DHCP so I said no and then it prompts you to type in your manual IP values/settings [img]smile.gif[/img]

Havent tried setting the network up using 'expert' mode so I dont know but could be worth a try?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 24
davidgl is on a distinguished road
Just a couple of points so far. It is important to emphasis that the CD-only version will NOT interfere or change anything already installed. It will even run without any hard disc in console mode (DOS-equivalent command mode) with NO hard disc. Normally, though, it will use any small disc area for swapfile space, which is deleted on exit.
Folks are going to like what they see so much that they are going to want to install it to hard disc permanently. Personally, I do not advise dual booting due to doubling the risk when the hardware fails, but it can be done if you are determined. Most folk will want to try an install version on some older kit, initially. For this, be sure to run boot: knoppix lang=en vga=normal screen=640x480. There are other 'cheat codes', as they call these switches, on the knoppix.de website. When the CD version is running, press CTRL+ALT+F1 and type (no cursor will show) 'knx-hdinstall' and follow the instructions. 'cfdisk' can be used to partition a new hard disc or overwrite an old one - use a minimum 3Gb size, but not much more is needed anyway. Set a swapfile partition of 256Mb minimum or twice memory size. The final configurations can be adjusted from the control console once the installation is complete.
All the advice needed can be had on the knoppix website and from some previous offerings here. 'Stephen', over there, is as friendly and helpful as our contributors and seems to know all the answers.
DGL.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Just a couple of points so far. It is important to emphasis that the CD-only version will NOT interfere or change anything already installed. It will even run without any hard disc in console mode (DOS-equivalent command mode) with NO hard disc. Normally, though, it will use any small disc area for swapfile space, which is deleted on exit.
Yes very good point, the fact that it does not modify any existing setup files is a real bonus and removes any excuse for not trying it apart from the largish download but with todays speeds that shouldn't cause too much of a problem. As you say - now that I've seen it working a dual boot setup was the first thing that sprang to mind, the whole thing has been a real eye opener! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Gold Member

Potenza rep: 26
iggy is on a distinguished road
Tim B,

It might well be that your server is too slow for DHCP to work - happened to me with K62-400 running 2K3, and I had to manually assign all network resources in WinXP on different machines.

DGL,

Good info! Keep us posted on more [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyone into Knoppix, please post your tips and tricks - I'm sure they will be appreciated by new converts :D